Friday, August 26, 2005

One Man's Opinion - Jeff Galloway

I have to be honest with you. I agonized over whether or not to post what I am about to post. But then, I wouldn't be any better than the putzes' that I train with who discard their heart rate monitors when they don't like the feedback or data they are getting, or who run through an injury on the theory, hope, wishful thinking or just plain old delusion that the injury will disappear on its own! But all ideas, even if you don't agree with them, deserve to be heard and judged on their merits - and the source from which they come I might add!

And the source of the post is a long-time source of inspiration for me - none other than Jeff Galloway himself.

Remember my plea for help from experienced marathoners and marathoning Coaches regarding getting my heart rate up for hills? Jeff actually answered my e-mail, as he has every time I have sent him one in the past three years.

Here is what Jeff Galloway himself had to say in reply:

Jeff Galloway wrote:

Vince,

Congratulations on your great achievements in weight control and fitness. You are an inspiration!

After coaching over 170,000 runners to their goals, I've not found heart rate training to be necessary and don't use it. Therefore I will not comment on the heart rate questions.

You are training too hard. When my ecoach clients have similar symptoms I do the following:

1. Run every other day

2. Reduce the length of the hill segments to no more than 150 meters

3. Run slower on long runs: 3 min/mi slower than predicted by 5K times.

Look at my NEW MARATHON book--in the back (prediction chart).

Take a 5K time, see what it predicts in the marathon. Compute per mile pace on the next page.

Add 3 minutes to this time. Add 30 sec per mile for every 5 degrees of temperature increase. Walk break ratios should correspond to pace per mile. See my website for instructions on the walk break ratio for pace.

(according to Jeff's book - and my own calculations to date - I have been planning to run the Okanagan Marathon in Kelowna at a 7:40-7:45 minute per mile pace - which works out - hopefully - to a marathon time of between 3:20 and 3:25. I have been doing Sunday long runs at about an 8:45-9:15 pace, easily within my heart rate training zone of 65-70% - Jeff is suggesting even two minutes per miles slower than that)

I hope you can join us at one of my one day running schools or retreats: Highly motivating with individualized information. Most runners find more than a dozen items they can change and improve as a result.

Best of running enjoyment!

Jeff Galloway - e-coaching to your goals

Jeff is right about one thing. The last two weeks, the Stormy and the high mileage have left me leg-tired. I was scheduled to do a 10K race this weekend, but the race will be an easy jog instead.

The 37K on Sunday will be done at below 60% of my maximum heart rate.

I would love to attend a clinic with Jeff, it is in fact a dream of mine to run in Greece with him one year and retrace parts of the original Marathon route from the Plains of Marathon to Athens.

I'd also love to engage Jeff in a passionate, (if not heated!) discussion about why heart rate monitors are such a useful tool for marathoners, especially new ones. But Jeff is the Man, he has run a 2:16 and been an Olympian. Gotta give credit where credit is due.

I am the first to admit I have been pushing the ragged edge of my training envelope lately.

In my defense - and I have many who can vouch for this - I bailed on my workout last night with my Half Marathon Clinic Hill Session. I actually took the night off and shouted encouragement from the top of the Hill!

And I had already informed my running buddies that the Saturday "Run for the Ferry" 10K Race on Bowen Island was going to be a stroll. And that the Sunday run this weekend was going to be considerably toned down.

I recognized a few symptoms of over training - but my morning heart rate has not been elevated. And my weight loss has not been precipitous. I am wavering these days between 183-184.

Because my diet had been so restricted on weeks where my mileage was getting up there, I have been increasing my fuel load, more carbs, more frequently, and more protein to aide in recovery.


As badly as I want to qualify for the Boston Marathon this fall, I don't want to risk injury or imperil my chances of making my attempt. There wouldn't be any sense in that.

So between Jeff Galloway, and Wayne (Scooter) and Hugh; I have actually been listening. And I hear what you are saying, Gentlemen. I am both lucky and blessed to have so much talent and such great coaches to call on for advice!

I'll let you know how I feel after the weekend.

You all have a good one!


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"You are an inspiration"! Wow, I would pay money for a legend like Jeff Galloway to say those words to me :-) Nice job, Vince! See you on Bowen!

12:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"You are an inspiration"! Wow, I would pay money for a legend like Jeff Galloway to say those words to me :-) Nice job, Vince! See you on Bowen!

12:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was so good I had to say it twice. Actually, I can't figure out how to delete my accidental double-posting.

12:05:00 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

> And I had already informed
> my running buddies that the
> Saturday "Run for the Ferry"
> 10K Race on Bowen Island was
> going to be a stroll.

48:01 and 18th out of 97...not bad for a "stroll", Vince! And I heard that the course was quite hilly too!

10:51:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home