Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Errol Hemingson's Memorial Service and Wake

Dear Friends and Family,

As Dad requested, we will be holding a Memorial Service and Wake; a celebration of Dad's life on Sunday, March 9, starting at 3:00 PM and lasting as long as the stories hold out or until they kick us out.  Apparently the liquor license is good until 1:00 AM. 

Food, and it will be fabulous, and libations - the beer, wine and whiskey is on Dad, the rest is between you and the bartender - will be provided.  

Please bring a smile, a sense of humour and a story or memorable moment with Errol to share.  Any event commemorating the life and times of Errol C. Hemingson will of course have a microphone.

If you have any great photos of Dad, please bring them, because we'll scan them on the spot.

The event will take place at the False Creek Yacht Club and overlooks many of Dad's favorite places in Vancouver, including Granville Island and Bridge's Restaurant and Pub, and the last place where the Stone Raven was moored before he left on his first epic voyage to Mexico.  Photos and stories of Dad's last great sailing adventure in the Bahamas can be seen at www.bostonorbust.ca  Because all great promoters have a dog and pony show, we'll be doing a slide show of Dad's life.  We can all laugh and cry together.  The sideburns from 1974 still get me.

The Yacht Club is located at 1661 Granville Street, (under the Granville Street Bridge on the north side of False Creek), Vancouver, BC V6Z 1N3, (604) 682-3614.  A map to the site can found on the Yacht Club's web site at www.fcyc.com

In lieu of flowers, my Father wanted people to make donations, should they so desire, to St. Paul's Hospital in Vancouver. 
Arrangements for donations can be made on the St. Paul's Hospital web site - www.providencehealthcare.ca
On the front page of the web site there is a Link to "Donations", and it takes you to the St. Paul's Hospital Foundation. The Official Charitable Registration Number: 11925 7939 RR0001  If you have any questions about Donations, you can call St. Paul's Hospital Foundation at (604) 682-8206 or fax (604) 806-8326.
Please forward this message to anyone you think would be interested.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call me at (604) 331-0333.  I would appreciate a quick note telling me if you will be coming, known more formally as an RSVP.   But, rest assured, Dad was never that formal.  Please come, bring family.
Best Wishes and Warmest Affections, Vince Hemingson
101 - 3131 West 4th Avenue,
Vancouver, BC  V6K 1R6

2 Comments:

Blogger Scooter said...

Vince,
I had the feeling this was coming, and had probably checked your blog last about a week ago. The result was that I just saw the news. Let me extend my condolences to you and your family.
I always enjoyed the spectacle and gaiety of New Orleans jazz funerals, and have the feeling that your Dad wanted to go out in a similar style. I wish you the best in making it happen.
As you know, I did not know your Dad, though, because of your blog, I almost feel like I did. There is something special about a life well lived, and I think that is one of the great lessons that can be learned from your father.
Though his years were a bit shorter than the norm, I have the feeling that they were also richer. To me, that pretty well defines "quality of life."
May we all pass from this world being able to claim a similar quality of life AND facing the end with the kind of bravery that your Dad displayed.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. God Bless You All.
Wayne

7:19:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

“Through-out the seventy years of Errols life I was only fortunate enough to know him for about ten years. During those years I found Errol, to be a great sales person, a wonderful friend, and above all a true adventurer in life’s journey. In other words he did it all”. I am Paul Frigstad, a friend of Errols.

10:02:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home