Saturday, February 19, 2005

Slow Hand

Thought a lot about the fact that I've been preaching all week to my pace group about training in the proper heart rate target zones and the importance of not pushing too hard in pursuit of diminishing returns. The start line, never mind the finish line, of the marathon is still a long ways off.

I red-lined myself at 140 and went out at dawn on Friday for 20K (12.5 miles). At the end of the run, which took two hours and ten minutes, my average heart rate was 138. Hardest part of the run to be disciplined was going up the UBC hill, which is over a mile of 8-10 percent grade.

I have been swamped all week with work and commitments and haven't been able to find a moment when the laundry room in my apartment hasn't been in use. Had used up all five pairs of my running tights and was faced with the disagreeable task of find the least odoriferous pair. Went with the hill training pair which had kind of been airing out over the back of a chair. Technical fibres are fabulous but boy do they stink. Only good part of this story was that it was only a degree above freezing, so I couldn't smell much anyways. Pitied the poor folks in my wake.

Received some really terrible personal news last night and to be honest, I don't have much of my heart and soul in this Blog this morning. Hope everyone has a great weekend. And don't forget to tell the people you love how you feel about them. You never know when it might be your last chance to say it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home