Wednesday, June 29, 2005

On Hemingson Puddle

One of things that pops up on occasion when discussion turns to this Blog, is the strange notion that it is somehow unseemly to write about oneself or one's own experience. It is taken as an act of narcissism so blatant that it requires comment on the part of others. Or to quote a recent "Anonymous" poster on this Blog -

"I have to say that never in my life have I met or read about a person so utterly self centred."

This type of comment ignores a widely accepted genre of writing (Bill Bryson's travel writing is a favorite of mine), a vast body of literature and several centuries worth of published journals and diaries. It is often the very best kind of writing because it is usually devoid of literary artifice, it is personal and often searingly honest and insightful about the human condition. I was discussing this with a good friend of mine just the other day, in speaking about "voice" and how it is in reflected in one's writing. My friend turned me to the following.

I love this following quote - in part because of its elegance, but mostly because I am incapable of stating it any better myself - this little blurb comes at beginning of Henry David Thoreau's "Walden."

"In most books, the I, or first person, is omitted; in this it will be retained; that, in respect to egotism, is the main difference. We commonly do not remember that it is, after all, always the first person that is speaking. I should not talk so much about myself if there were anybody else whom I knew as well. Unfortunately, I am confined to this theme by the narrowness of my experience."

So I will continue to write Boston or Bust as I have, confident that no one can write me, better than me. To butcher Thoreau, it's all I know... Here's to On Hemingson Puddle, as opposed to Walden Pond.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe you are right. Authoring an online journal is not a narcissistic act, but just the opposite. It is a tool one humbly uses in order to gain insight.

Do you know of any narcissists that would nakedly share their most inner thoughts and human reflections on running and life with the public, and then go ahead and encourage comments?!?!

Narcissists, and self-centered folk, constantly admire themselves, are arrogant, and lack empathy towards others. They can't take criticism; they avoid it.

Your blog serves the running community as an encyclopedia of training tips and links. In it, you write about yourself in a humorous and deprecating way. Through this comedy, you not only engage and empathize with your readers and fellow runners, but you even reach out and nurture them through sharing and communicating with them.

What's narcissistic about that?

P.S. Keep up the good work!

3:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. It takes a lot of courage for people to be so 'anonymous' doesn't it? I sincerely doubt they truly understand what this sort of journey is about. Narcissistic? Hardly. Introspection and soul-deep questioning and self-evaluation go through us as we journey down this path.

Ahh!! It is pointless to defend oneself against this sorts. They don't get it.

Blogging by nature is a personal feat. It is supposed to be about the self - whether it is deeply personal or something we have a great deal of interest in promoting - the SELF is what it is about.

Good luck in your journey!! I'll be reading from time to time to gain inspiration.

s.

8:22:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home