Friday, July 22, 2005

Gentlemen, Start Your Engines...

Ahhh, racing. Today I pick up my race package for the Summerfast 10K, a race around the very flat and what should be a very fast Sea Wall course on the perimeter of Stanley Park.

http://www.bcathletics.org/RRSeries/summerfast_details.htm
The race is tomorrow morning, Saturday, July 23rd. I took it easy this week during the tempo run and while the first hill workout was tough, I did not cough up any pieces of lung. Always a good sign in my books.

In addition to the Summerfast race, I signed up for the Stormy Trail 67K Ultramarathon Trail Race that is run on the Test of Metal mountain bike course. Last year I did it in combat boots and a kilt.

http://www.vanishingtattoo.com/stormy/index.html

Hence the photo of yours truly at the start of the Blog. The Stormy is on Saturday, August 13th and will be my LAST race before my Boston qualifying attempt on October 9th in the Okanagan Marathon being held in Kelowna. Hugh and Patrick and I did 30K in 3:20 last Sunday and I'll probably take a shot at 35 0r 40K this Sunday as my last long run before Stormy. I have been doing lots of 25K runs in preparation and since the end of March I have done several runs of 45 and 50K.

I am hoping that the 30:39 8K I did last Tuesday will be reflected in my time tomorrow. Anything close to 43:00 and I will be happy. Under 43:00 and I will be ecstatic. After this weekend I am going to focus a little more on the hills and on weekly 800 metre workouts. My weight is pretty solid at between 191 and 192. Next week I'm going to try and hammer it under 190. I am recovering much faster by carrying less weight and I feel faster.

Last year I did the Stormy in 9:42, just beating the cut-off time of ten hours and coming in 59 out of 59 (there were originally 82 starters). Last August 14th was a scorcher and in the mid-afternoon it hit 87 degrees. I came in about seven or eight pounds lighter and a week later I was still four pounds lighter. I figure I was burning about 1,000 calories an hour, so, times ten hours of running, the math works out to about 10,000 calories or about three and a half pounds. Seymour has once again offered to run the last 35K with me. I am curious to see what it is like to run the course in footwaer actually called runners!

So this is what my summer has become, running, training, racing and counting calories. My goal is still to be 188-189 by my 45th birthday on August 8th and as close as I can get to 180 pounds by October 1st.

The Okanagan Marathon in Kelowna...

http://www.events.runningroom.com/site/?raceId=1203

And as a bonus, or perhaps as an added inducement to run in British Columbia's lovely interior vineyards country, the Okanagan Wine Festival just happens to coincide with the Okanagan Marathon. A coincidence? I think not, my friends!

Just a few more reasons why the Okanagan Marathon "stomps" the grapes out of Victoria....

http://www.owfs.com/ Okanagan Wine Festival!

http://www.missionhillwinery.com/guest_experience/wine_festival.html

Autumn in Okanagan Wine Country is the perfect time to watch the grapes ripen in the sun and indulge yourself in the harvest celebrations.


This unique festival is the only wine festival in North America that takes place during the heart of the grape harvest. The Annual Okanagan Fall Wine Festival is an experience for all who love fabulous wine accompanied by great food and unique events.

During this festival, experience vineyard tours, lunches, dinners education and the fall wine harvest - there is no better way to visit Okanagan Wine Country.

For ten days in early October enjoy over 165 events throughout the valley which are focused on wine, food, education and the arts in one of North America’s most spectacular settings – the Okanagan Valley.

This festival continues to be ranked in the top 100 events by the American Bus Association (ABA).

Dates: 2005 Sept 30-Oct 9; 2006 Sept 29-Oct 8;2007 Sept 28-Oct 7; 2008 Oct 2-12

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home