Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Sweet Sixteen

I couldn't stand the suspense any longer, so I went out this morning and then I took a test to measure my percentage of body fat. I weighed in at 193.2 pounds and my body fat was measured at 16%. Oh, yeah, Sweet sixteen!

Back in March I weighed in at 203.3 pounds, so I'm exactly 10.1 pounds lighter. My body fat as measured in March was 22%, so I've lost 6% body fat. The mathematicians in the audience will note the discrepancy in the numbers... It also turns out that I have also gained 2.6 pounds of lean muscle mass. In March my lean muscle mass was 158.6 pounds and is now 161.2 pounds.

Given that I have been back in the gym, lifting weights and cross-training to build up my upper body and core strength for eight weeks now, that is quite reasonable. I hadn't been in the gym for over six months, and despite keeping my exercises to two or three per body part, and limiting myself to three sets of 30 to 50 repetitions, it was clear I was capable of toning up and packing on a little beef. Not necessarily a bad thing. A stronger core and upper body will help me maintain my form in the late stages of the marathon.

Now that I am at 193.2 pounds and 16% body fat, 180 pounds and about 10% body fat doesn't seem quite so daunting a task or quite so unattainable. I feel pretty confident that by August 8th I will be below 190, and that by mid-September, I should be close to 180. I would prefer to lean out before I start really ramping up my weekly miles to the 70 mile per week range. That kind of mileage really puts a strain on me and I don't want to be hampering my recovery by watching every calorie. I will want to switch my focus from losing weight to eating sensibly and making sure that I am aiding my recovery with healthy eating and healthy food choices.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

16%!!! Way to go Vince!

10:03:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Getting skinny, Vinnie!

12:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home