Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Gut Busters

Last night went out and did a little easier 8K tempo run. My Polar S625X would not pick up my heart rate and according to Hugh I was running like a bat out of hell as I fiddled with my Polar and tried to maintain contact with the fast as greased lightning, C.

End result was that I shot my bullet in the first couple of K and when my Polar came on I realized I was burning along at 175... ! And all the fidgeting meant that I didn't record the workout. AarrRRrggghhhHHH! At 3K C disapeared and took off over the horizon like a rocket.

Since Sunday I have been on an absolutely brutal (I exagerate as usual, with a typical Vince degree of hyperbole) diet of around 1800 calories per day. I decided ten days ago to not drink any alcohol until my birthday on August 8th. I got tired of being stuck wavering between 195-196 on my bathroom scales. I am limiting my protein to fish, salmon and tuna, and eggs. My bulk carbohydrates are coming from a bowl of oatmeal in the morning and a bowl of brown wild rice at lunch. I like the rice with the fish. Dinner is a salad. I am eating lots of fruits and vegetables. I am only drinking clear liquids and I have even cut back on my coffee consumption. By August 8th I am going to see 189 pounds come Hell or high water.

My idea is to eat very well, in terms of caloric intake, on Sunday - say 3,000 calories - when I do my long endurance run, and then taper my calories for the week until I need to stoke the Vince machine again on the weekend. The upshot of this is that this morning I tipped the scales at 193. I honestly can not remember the last time I was 193. For the first time in years the spare tire around my belly button and the love handles - and I have HANDLES King Kong could hang on to, Baby! - over my kidneys appear to be diminishing.

As for the growls and pangs of hunger that occasionally stalk me in the late afternoon, I stuff a carrot stick in them and put them out of their misery as quickly as possible.

At 193 pounds in early July, the neighbourhood of 180 by late September doesn't seem quite so daunting or quite so far away. And I am seizing this training window of relatively low overall mileage to jettison as many pounds as possible. I do not want to be trying to lose body fat while at the same time be recovering from running 70 miles per week in late August and early September.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home