Friday, April 28, 2006

Dare to Be Great

I can see the apprehension building in some of the members of our Clinic as the day of the marathon draws ever nearer, especially for those about to do their first. I know what it's like as the tension builds; even the clocks in the room seem to start ticking louder as the time until the race grows shorter. I have been there and I know what it feels like. I am not ashamed to say that I have been afraid before a marathon. And with the taper beginning to take effect, runners have newfound energy that they haven't felt in months. You start to pace the room, you find yourself shifting from foot to foot, you worry, you fret, and you begin fidgeting like a four year old. You begin to think you're nerves are going to snap!

There is no denying that running a Marathon is a daunting task. But I like to think of the taper as a chance to recharge my muscles so that they'll explode on race day, powering me along all 26.2 miles. And all those training miles are tucked away in the bank, ready to be drawn on the day of the race. The work has been done, now the time has come to revel in your newfound abilities. The time has come to amaze yourself.

"Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.", Marianne Williamson.

And the wonderful thing about all those people who have tackled the marathon clinic, risked pain and sore muscles and fatigue and exhaustion and the possibility of failure, is that they have chosen not to be ordinary, rather they have chosen to be extraordinary. They have shunted doubt to one side and pushed fear to the backs of their minds. They have looked into the abyss and taken a step into the great unknown. They have sailed into uncharted waters. They have dared to be great.

Why choose to be ordinary when you can choose to be exceptional?

There's a quote by Johann Goethe that is a favorite of mine, "Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, magic and power in it. Begin it now"

Dare to be great. Choose to be extraordinary.

Pick your Marathon in life and run it.

Miracles await.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not a runner, but what you said rings true for everything in life. I am starting a "marathon" in my life right now...and believe me, i am going to give it my all. Thanks for the great words, you should add motivational speaker to your long list of talents!

9:02:00 PM  
Blogger Vince Hemingson said...

One of the nicest things that has ever been said to me...

10:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Honestly, Vince! Write the damn book!

3:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home