Thursday, July 27, 2006

Vince's Wake

It's finally over.
The Efudex that is.
Smearing topical chemo on my face for 45 days.
That which it was said that could not be done by man nor beast in one go.
The beast lives.
However, there is no getting around the fact that the man is very sick.
For the past few days I have been nauseous and puking my guts out.
I have been light-headed and lost consciousness a few times the past couple of days.
This is actually not considered that unusual.
It is probably NOT a great idea for me to be driving around, though.
My liver is very sensitive and tender and swollen and has probably been effected by the Efudex and also probably the amount of pain-killers I have been taking - and possibly the alcohol I have been washing them down with.
Funny how that works...
Such is life and free will.
It will take six to eight weeks for my face to clear up.
My Doctor greeted me at 9:00 AM Tuesday morning with a firm, two-handed handshake and a booming greeting,
"My Viking from the North! You did it, Vince! You are the first patient that I have ever had in over forty years of practice who did their entire face with Efudex in one treatment. In fact, we don't know of anyone else who has done it! And you're the only patient who never called me once during the treatment!"
That might have impressed me once.
Not now.
Now, I will just try to rest up and heal.
I did 28 kilometres or thereabouts on Sunday morning in a little over 3 hours with Laura.
We did Prospect Point in Stanley Park three times to practice for the Stormy 64K Ultramarathon Race coming up in three weeks.. My average heart rate was 123, Max 147.
The entire run was done on trails in the deep shade, where it was the coolest.
I am been having trouble keeping food down and sleeping.
Also considered normal.
As of now I am doing Stormy.
I will probably do it slower than I otherwise might have wanted.
I will be taking some time off from running. I find myself very tired. Especially after doing the Summerfast 10K on Saturday. Even if it was seven minutes slower than last year!
I am having lots of fun drawing up a new will - eight pages of fucking questions though! - and planning my Wake.
The Wake is the best part of all.
Damn I wish I could be there!
For those lucky enough to be invited, or with the cajones enough to show up, it should be a night of debauchery and bacchanalia not soon to be forgotten.
You get brownie points, ie; a great bottle of Scotch - for wearing a kilt, reciting Shakespeare - or poetry of any merit, be it good or bad, singing a song or playing a musical instrument.
Women who will publicly proclaim that I was the best lover that they ever had and that I ruined them for all the men that followed me will receive special compensation.
I am still working out the kinks of having a Viking burial at sea with a flaming long boat.
What's one burning little boat?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I have it confirmed in writing that you are nuts.

10:23:00 PM  
Blogger Lora said...

I will play the violin. Any special request for the song???

5:44:00 AM  
Blogger Scooter said...

Yep, if you keep mixing painkillers and alcohol, you may be needing that will soon. Be sensible! I expect once you're functioning normally (well, what's normal for you), you'll be back to living right. Be well and congrats on finishing the Efudex.

7:12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I had to follow one man over the top and out of the trenches and across no man's land, it would be you Vince.

You are the man. You have magic.

Don't let anyone change you.

You will always be different.

You will always be out of step.

You will always march to the beat of a different drummer.

It is who you are.

Men will admire and love you and fear you. They will follow you.

Women will be drawn to you and not understand why.

They will be attracted to you but they will think you are crazy. And they will want to sleep with you. Once. They will never marry you because they are afraid of what you will do.

But you have the qualities that a culture needs but once every few generations.

Without a land to conquor or a kingdom to defend or a continent to explore you are a lost soul.

Running will save you.

The longer you run, the more powerful your magic will become.

If you give up your ego you can become a great teacher.

We may need a Warrior and a Poet and a King yet.

11:42:00 PM  
Blogger Vince Hemingson said...

And I thought I was out there...

5:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home