Friday, November 24, 2006

Pain in the Neck

Dear God, please strike me down where I stand... At this moment I would give anything to be able to swap the pain in my neck for some good old-fashioned sciatica back pain. THAT, I can deal with. Having suffered chronic back pain for years, Christ it is now nearly two decades, I would love to be able to embrace pain that is so familiar it is like an old friend - well, maybe more like an annoying neighbor that you learn to tolerate. And vaguely miss if you don't see them for a while.

Hobbling around on a cane would be a welcome relief from the misery I have found myself in for the past three days. I don't mind the pain itself so much, but the accompanying headaches, sensitivity to light and rather bizarre nausea are a bit much. After all, what on earth does this old muscle damage in my shoulder and neck have to do with wanting to throw up unexpectedly I ask?

Driving a car is the absolute worst. Because I am brain-damaged and slightly retarded, I always forget that I am just a small sudden movement away from excruciating agony when I drive. And despite driving like a little old lady, I find myself still shoulder checking when I change lanes. Shoulder checking for those of you don't know how to drive properly - and let's face it, it is most of you - go on, look in the mirror - is when you turn your head to check over your shoulders before your turn because just checking your mirrors leaves you vulnerable to vehicles in your blind spots. I turn my head, scream a little - like an old lady - and then want to vomit. Fun stuff in a moving vehicle...

I went for a 10K run this morning and after a few kilometres said 'F**k it" and went home. I think I am going through some kind of psychosomatic reaction to withdrawing from the Seattle Marathon this weekend. I had not really thought that I was that excited about doing the race, but now that I am not doing it, it is sort of pissing me off. I find now, after I had decided NOT to go, that I really WANT to be there. Of course this may just be an infantile and assuredly Vince-like immature response to not getting what I want. I wonder at times if there is any correlation between the 'terrible twos' and the 'miserable mid-forties'.

What a pain in the neck...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read a lot of what you wrote and I must say you are on target. I am 62 years old and I am trying to break the four hour marathon mark.

Your interest in your sport's life shows through in what you are telling others.

Keep up the good work.

If you are interested there is a nice Marathon in Myrtle Beach, SC in mid-February. The weather there is mostly sunny and cool during that time of the year.

I wish you best of everything,

HK

2:44:00 PM  
Blogger Scooter said...

Vince,
Having had some neck trouble, I know how much it can impact. I've had good success with chirpractors, though I'll warn you that they'll "need" to see you again and again. I'll suggest that you give them a try, but limit it to about 4 weeks. And activity seems to often help me, though the prospect is daunting.

5:47:00 AM  
Blogger Lora said...

Migraines maybe??? You need a real good masseuse. Get all those crazy toxins out of you body....you must be harboring them for at least 40 years!!!

8:46:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home