Thursday, April 19, 2007

Rest and Recovery

After a relatively easy run in Boston, I am experiencing more of the usual post-race stiffness than I expected. Of course an entire day spent sitting in planes and airline terminals less than twenty-four hours after the race probably didn't help. Will definitely NOT fly out of Boston at the crack of dawn the day after the race next year, should I be so lucky as to re-qualify, that is...

Thanks to all the kind folks, friends and family, who have inundated me with e-mails and calls. It is nice to recognize that in most people's eyes, just running in the Boston Marathon is nearly every bit as noteworthy as running the race in a blistering time. Getting to Boston and qualifying really is half the battle.

So it is nice to get a pat on the back. I am surprised at the level of maturity with which I am handling not re-qualifying in Boston this year. Normally, I would have imagined that I would have struggled not to fall into a funk or I would have indulged in a lot of drama-queen self-flagellation, but none of that has happened. I am actually looking forward to a summer of training and preparation for Boston - Round Three!

After months of the "Boston Diet" I am actually finding it difficult to stray off of it very far! So I am generally sticking with my usual meal plans and then rewarding myself with a nicer than usual lunch or dinner and maybe a glass of wine or two, or a drink in the evening. Maintaining a sensible training weight is so much healthier and productive than having to lose weight every marathon cycle. Of course Patrick and Justin may have something to say about this, given we have been planning a premium single-malt Scotch tasting for many months...

Now I am looking forward to some weeks of lower mileage and weekends indulging in some other passions besides running for five or six hours!

2 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

Enjoy the rest. Will we see you at running club on Sunday? I'll probably be doing my last pre-BMO long run with your crew this Sunday. And what about BMO? Will you be there on May 6?

Here's another blogger friend's Boston story. Like your story, it's another superb recount.

11:53:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll have a wee dram of Edradour for you all, and imagine we're toasting each other! Well done Vince - a great achievement in many ways!

2:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home