Monday, June 09, 2008

The Boston Marathon Qualifying Trilogy

During a Winter and Spring that had more than its shares of personal ups and downs, and honestly, it often seemed more like a series of downs, my training for the Vancouver Marathon often hung by a thread.  Fortunately for my marathon training, I had promised my good friend Paul that I would run his first marathon with him and he had chosen to come all the way from Paris to run in Vancouver.  That promise, and the knowledge that Paul was indeed going to be showing up on my doorstep come the first week of May, compelled me out the door on many occasions where it seemed like I had neither the time nor the desire to train.  

After my Father's illness in January and death in February, I had any number of priorities that took precedence over my training schedule.  But in a show of loyalty and commitment to Paul, I did manage one or two runs during the week and I rarely missed a Sunday Long Run.  Paul had a goal time of five hours and I spent every Sunday as the Pace Leader of a Five Hour Pace Group.  So Paul and my five hour pace bunnies allowed me to run less for my own goals and objectives, and to run for other people and other reasons.

That, in and of itself, after my disastrous 2007 marathon year was a great thing.  I have seldom enjoyed my Sunday runs more than I did this Spring and I have seldom enjoyed a marathon more than the 2008 Vancouver Marathon.   Paul ran a 5:00:22 and I had the most fun I'd had in months.   Paul stayed with me for a week, and when he flew back to Paris I moped around the house like I'd lost my best friend!

The next marathon clinic starts tomorrow and I'm entering the latest training cycle with the most enthusiasm I've had for running in ages.  I won't lie; it was a major disappointment not to run the Boston Marathon in 2008 after running it in 2006 and 2007.  But it only strengthened for me the great lure and appeal of the Boston Marathon.   My friends Pat and Kevin both went to Boston this year, both ran great races, both re-qualified for Boston in Boston, and their joy and excitement  and passion for the race helped rekindle my own enthusiasm.

The past two weeks I did something I haven't done in a couple of years, I managed to run five days in a row.  Felt great.  Felt hard.  But great.  My body has been soaking up sleep like a sponge.  I have ached like I haven't ached in ages.  It feels great.  I've even lost ten pounds.

I still haven't decided on a Fall Marathon, but my choice will be predicated on re-qualifying for the Boston Marathon.  

I'm looking forward to it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to hear you sounding positive about running again Vince, and looking forward to reading about your quest towards a Boston qualifier later in the year.
All the best for your training.

1:37:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Glad to see you back! And here's keeping my fingers crossed at yet another BQ. I missed mine this past Sunday but will try again in Victoria in October (although I'm toying with trying at Skagit Flats in early September).

10:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home