Sunday, August 24, 2008

More Miles

We ran 27 miles yesterday and for me at least, it was one of the best long runs we'd done this summer.  My right knee was still aching and at 13 miles we detoured into a 7-11 for some Gatorade and a little Motrin.  Thirty minutes later I was as right as rain.  The temperature was in the mid-70's and the humidity was fairly high.  

But the five of us all hydrated conscientiously along the way and made sure we were well-fueled as well.  We've taken Gatorade pit stops on the last few long runs that have approached marathon distance and it seems to have made a difference, at least for me.  Of course I don't discount that the benefits may be simply psychological.

At a few places we have been able to add ice to our water bottles, and my word, what a luxurious treat that has been.  Ice water tastes so good that it is hard to believe that it doesn't have any calories!  Positively sinful!

Any time you run for five or more hours in hot temps it's nice to have good company.  And the last few runs have been really enjoyable.

Here's hoping the knee is getting better.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ice water or cold gatorade sounds nice, but I've heard that some research suggests that the colder temps reduces the speed at which the gut is able to take up liquid... so maybe it's not the best choice for race day. On the other hand, the reduction in core temps maybe offsets the slower liquid absorption, I dunno. Any other opinions on this out there?

9:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home