Sunday, February 20, 2005

Sunny Sunday

Today was cool and crisp, with not a wisp of clouds in the sky. The sun shone bright, and once we had cleared the shadows and the trees in the park you could feel it's warmth on your cheeks.

As the weekly mileage climbs inexorably higher, the first time marathoners are begrudgingly beginning to respect the demands made on their bodies by preparing to race 26.2 miles (42.2K). We ran 28K (18 miles) today, and there was not a lot of chatter in the last half hour. This past week the second hill workout had left a few folks feeling stiff and sore. The usual suspects who do the optional add-ons with me had decided to err on the side of caution, and pay heed to their aches and pains, (with lots of hints from Uncle Vince), and aside from Laura, I did another 10K as part of a terrible twosome.

Actual mileage was 23.4 (37.66K). Average heart rate for the nearly four hours of running, 138.

2 Comments:

Blogger Scooter said...

Vince,
I've been chasing Boston since 2002. Your blog title intrigued me, so I visited. I quickly realized that this guy was a wacko - running a marathon in boots and a skirt! Anyway, I wanted to wish you luck. I'm taking my next crack at qualifying in early May, having missed in my two attepts in late '02 - 3:45:xx and 3:39:xx, then missing last fall with plantar fasciitis. (Probably wouldn't have gotten it if I ran in boots.) If all goes well, I'll get to meet you at Boston '06. You seem like a big guy, so if you threaten to pound me unless I buy you a beer (for calling your kilt a skirt), I might have to give in. Meantime, if you want to check my progress, visit: http://scootersweightloss.blogspot.com/

Your pencil necked pal,
Scooter

11:52:00 AM  
Blogger Vince Hemingson said...

Scooter,

I look forward to a sharing a few beers with you in Boston, post-marathon. And even I have to concede that it is a bit whacko to run in boots and a kilt. Visited your Blog and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'll be checking in regularly. I may even post a photo of me at 246, five years ago and a year before my first marathon!

Here's to Boston! Vince

6:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home