Saturday, April 16, 2005

Monster Miles

I was re-reading my Jeff Galloway, www.jeffgalloway.com and I had a revelation. Jeff wrote that runners with a target time of 3:30 or quicker in the marathon needed to do mile repeats.

So today, instead of doing a 10K, I went out and did six one-mile repeats. On Wednesday we did six one kilometre repeats at 4:20 per K, which is .62 of a mile. The next part is where you can see why I barely passed Grade 12 Math. I figured if I wanted to run the same pace for a mile to just multiply 4:20 times 1.4. 4:20 equals = 260 seconds, multiplied by 1.4 equals = 364 seconds, which is 6:04. Michael later told me that the correct pace was actually 6:50 and that while my math was good, my method of calculation was completely wrong! To make matters worse, I am still not sure how Michael arrived at his numbers, but Hey!, he's a mechanical engineer and all....

Anyways, I went out and did the following miles with a three to five minute recovery between each mile. I tried to keep my maximum heart rate to 168, although a few times I zoomed up to the 170 plus area, and I tried my best to stay around 166 and on pace. Mile four was the hardest (I was light-headed at the end) and there is no getting around the fact that this was a really hard push for me. Afterwards, I had a great thigh pump-up and I felt pretty good. Without further fanfare, here are the laps:

Mile One - 6:12
Mile Two - 6:14
Mile Three - 6:08
Mile Four - 6:02
Mile Five - 6:17
Mile Six - 6:09

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home