Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Run Fast, Repeat

We did intervals tonight, one kilometre (.6214 of a mile) repeats.

The pace groups from the marathon clinic gathered together and ran laps according to their time goals. The plan for those of us wanting to run a 3:30 was to do five laps at 4:20. After a warm-up lap of 4:42, we did five one kilometre laps with a two to three minute period of recovery between repeats.

Lap 1 - 4:22
Lap 2 - 4:18
Lap 3 - 4:13
Lap 4 - 4:17
Lap 5 - 4:21

All in all, not too bad.

The 4:13 was a bit quick and the last two hundred metres of that lap became a bit of a foot race. It was actually quite easy to keep Rachel, Warren, Tory and Justin and myself together. But you could tell that everyone wanted to let the horses out to run tonight. My heart rate at the end of each lap was a managable 160-162. I felt that my feel for the pace was pretty steady. The legs felt great. First time I had any bounce in them for a while.

Michael was missing in action, which was a shame because I had a few calculations to run by him. I was curious to know how our 1k times would have have translated into 800 metre Yasso times. Let's see.... 80% of 4:20 is... Mhhhmmnnn... 4:20 has 260 seconds, (X) times .8 equals = 208 seconds, which equals = 3:28. Wow! If we had run ten 1Ks in 4:20, that must surely be as good or better than running ten Yasso 800s in 3:28. Don't you think? Old Anthony is trickier than he looks, I'd say... There is method behind the boys madness, I'd wager.

And what is a Yasso 800 you ask? Well, the theory is (according to Yasso) that if you run ten 800 intervals, the interval times you finish in will be a pretty good indicator of what kind of time you will actually finish your marathon in. So 4:20 1K repeats strikes me as being pretty damn close to the equivalent of running 3:28 Yasso 800s!!!! Or as Yasso would theorize, a 3:28:00 marathon time, all things being equal.

(Trust me on this, children, if my calculations are off by a hair, I will never hear the freaking end of it tomorrow!)

I felt better tonight than I had in the last 48 hours. But I will certainly sleep soundly this evening. And yes, Scooter, damn straight I hope the girls in my dreams are cute!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was I one of the horses let out to run? hmmm....
I was hoping Kevin would have kept me company for more of the intervals than just the last one, but that will have to do without Dr. Umlaut in attendance. I'm still trying to gauge what my realistic goal should be for May 1 - I was originally thinking 3:30-3:40, but based on the last month and recent intervals training, I'm almost tempted to try for something a little more ambitious - more than likely not the smartest of ideas.
My splits tonight were:
Warmup lap - 4:42
Lap 1 - 4:16
Lap 2 - 4:08
Lap 3 - 3:58
Lap 4 - 3:58
Lap 5 - 3:52

The last 3 are good for +/- 5 seconds on a 3:10 pace (each should have been 3:55). Kevin accompanied me on the last one, and it's probably the only one of the set that really felt comfortable - I could feel my form was off on the other intervals.

Enough about me though, Vince did a stellar job keeping his group on target pace tonight. Kudos.

11:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You hate to stroke Vince any more than you have to, but it IS kind of uncanny how well he can maintain a pace at a set time...

Smoke, mirrors, drugs, mechanical aides... How does he DO IT !?!

12:03:00 AM  
Blogger Vince Hemingson said...

It's magic, kids, MAGIC!

7:45:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

um...MAGIC? I sure hope not, at least not if you're familiar with the MAGIC joke.

9:20:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I'll bite. What's the MAGIC joke?

2:01:00 PM  
Blogger Scooter said...

You know, that's what I hate about Rachel, she bites, and in the most sensitive places. (Sorry Rachel, I couldn't resist...and for those of you who might care, I don't know Rachel, but see set herself up TOO WELL).

So Vince, regarding dreams, I awoke this morning with a clear vision of an old man in a brown suit and wing tips jumping off a roof (I think at a university). It was very disturbing.

6:20:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The MAGIC joke...it has gestures to accompany it, so unfortunately I can't offend your delicate sensibilities with it over the internet. Perhaps at the next group run/meeting =-)

2:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home