Friday, April 08, 2005

Vince and Michael's HR Comparison


Vince and Michael's Gibson's HR Data Comparison Posted by Hello

There's nothing like repetition to improve performance, hence my posting of another screen shot showing the Heart Rate Charts of Michael and myself from the Gibson's Half Marathon Race on April 3rd. Finally getting the hang of the technology.

My chart is slightly obscured, but you can get a clear shot of it in my preceding Blog post. Michael's chart is amazing, in that it was his first Half and a personal best in the first 10K for him (41 minutes). But the HR chart clearly shows the price he paid, his heart rate in the second half of the race never approachs the levels he maintained for the first 10K . Yet he toughed it out and finished the race. An excellent learning experience for Michael and one that I am sure will help him enormously in preparing for the Vancouver Marathon May 1st. He learned all about his Lactate Threshold and his ability to run through lactic acid build-up!

If you go to my chart you can see that my HR is more even for the race, but two points stand out. When I approach 172 BPM, my speed falls off afterwards, as I think I am going slightly anaerobic. I should have backed off more on the hills and kept my HR under 165. I would have been faster in the end. The Lactate Threshold will hammer you if you give it a chance.

When Michael and I train together, our heart rates are not that far apart, despite the 16 year age difference. However, Michael has a much higher workload capacity and recovers more quickly. Any edge, if I even have one that is, is possibly a slightly greater degree of endurance based on weekly mileage, running history and experience. He clearly has a greater tolerance for lactic acid and his lactate threshold is probably higher.

Will have to keep hounding Michael to get his MAX VO2 tested!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home