Monday, May 01, 2006

Sick as Dog

I have not been feeling well for a couple of days. Not well at all! I had a decent run on last Wednesday, mostly doing laps while the rest of the marathon clinic finished off their last 800M repeats, good old Yassos, ten in all.

I went out fast for a few, but no more than that. The next day I was astonishingly stiff. Almost as sore as I had been after Boston. And I was fighting off muscle stiffness all through the weekend. Usually I recover much faster than that. I was also a little off my feed and needing to sleep more. A harbinger of worse things to come...

On Saturday and Sunday I had trouble keeping warm, even in the bright sunshine. As Sunday wore on, I began suffering excruciating stomach cramps and pain that would nearly double me over when they hit.

I restricted my diet to gingerale, chamomile tea and chicken broth and soda crackers. Then right after dinner, whatever was lurking hit me full force. Despite having nothing in me really, I could not stop vomiting and at the other end, well, let's just say my body has been trying to turn itself inside out...

By now I was alternating between freezing and shivering and shaking nearly uncontrollably, even under three quilts - and sweating profusely with a high fever. At the end of the night I was like the Princess and the Pea, sleeping on a growing pile of towels as I soaked one after the other in sweat. I began to seriously worry about dehyradtion, but could barely keep down water. I've lost almost ten pounds in the last twenty-four hours.

In a bid to get warm, even for a moment of repite, I tried to take a hot shower. A wave of nausea and light-headedness came over me and I started to fall, slumping down the wall of my shower, trying to slow my speed as I crashed into the tub.

Don't think it was anything I ate, because no else I know of is going through this. Must be a stomach virus. Not uncommon for a hard marathon to batter the old immune system enough to leave you vulnerable to a bug.

Not a little unworried with only six days until the Vancouver Mrathon and I'm supposed to be a Pace Bunny for a group of 4:45 hopefuls...

Having nightmares about not making it to the Finish Line in time. Yikes!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll send some positive vibes your way......

8:56:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

....and from all the motivation i have been given from reading your words, i know you are way too strong to let this flu get you. Im sure by marathon time you will be ready to go.

9:02:00 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

Get well, man!

9:20:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another Johann Goethe quote worth remembering: By nature we have no defect that could not become a strength and no strength that could not become a weakness.

2:15:00 PM  
Blogger Anthony Epp said...

Buddy, you weren't kidding... Here I thought you were just getting the post-marathon flu.

I may have suggested a better way to drop the weight you say you've gained, but to each his own :).

Get better soon!

2:30:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops...made a mistake on the Goethe guote...its not weakness its defect :)

3:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get well soon.

If anybody can do it, I think you've pretty much proved it's you!

Maybe you're trying to do too much?

9:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home