Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Pond Jumping

I finished chemotherapy on my face three weeks ago, and I look amazingly normal again. As normal as I'm ever going to look that is...

Having cleared the last few "hurdles", I have another examination in October, and then, all things being equal, I should be good for the immediate future. After all, who amongst us really knows when their "Best Before Date" is?

I am jumping the pond, also known as the North Atlantic and heading to France this Saturday - first Paris, then Bordeaux, before finishing in London - for a solid month. The ostensible purpose of the trip is to run the Medoc Marathon. Mostly now I think of it as an opportunity to replenish my soul and revive my spirit. It would be nice to recover a little ambition and drive along the way as well. I find myself curiously at loose ends these days, not sure what I want to do next or even where I want that to be.

Part of me thinks it might be a good time for a geographical change. I have itchy feet and find travel tremendously invigorating and stimulating.

Maybe it's time to change my address.

Over the past four months I have put on a somewhat ludicrous twenty-five pounds, just in case I found out I had just six months or something ridiculous like that to live, and I sure as Hell wasn't going to stop at the first bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon! Or refuse a proffered piece of cheese cake, or another round of beers. You have to live before you can die! And lying around the Bat Cave all day waiting for the sun to set probably added a kilo or two. And let's face it, good food is simply comforting. And everything takes on a rosier hue when you wash it down with a frosty beverage.

So, now that I am living and apparently going to continue to live, I have to get on with my life. Or what passes for my life.

In the meantime, I am working like crazy and glad to be back on my feet. I still dodge the sun, and having always looked forward to sunsets, appreciate them all the more these days...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Vince,

Looks like you're ripening up nicely for a new challenge of some description. I hope it will be running-related, and you start bamboozling us all with your forensic HR analyses again.

Enjoy the European jaunt,and good luck with the marathon.

DFD

3:27:00 AM  
Blogger Lora said...

Have a fabulous soul-searching trip. Hope you bring a laptop!

Ahhh...nothing like a close call with the grim reaper to make life more special...nice to know you'll have many more sips of wine in your future! L'Chaim!

4:32:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Uncle vince,

You can always move to Paris and we can put our heads together :-)

Luck forward to seeing your sorry ass next week

Paul

11:51:00 AM  
Blogger Scooter said...

Bon Voyage! Enjoy the wine and cheese. Have some of each while thinking of me...especially if the cheese is stinky!

6:24:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Hemingson.

Bon Voyage!

France is am entirely appropriate destination for you, because if I am ever asked to define, "bon vivant", I am sure that the first thing out of my mouth will be, "Do you know my friend, Vince...?"

Have a wonderful time, my friend (have you noticed that there is only a one letter difference between friend and fiend?), as surely no one deserves it more than you.

So, my fiendish friend, go to France and take no prisoners. No surrender, no retreat!

Show the French how live is meant to be lived!

10:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home