Friday, August 18, 2006

With Friends Like These...

Posted by Picasa

http://vanishingtattoo.blogspot.com/2005/08/i-will-steal-medals-from-children-to.html

With friends like these, who needs family?

I had a little birthday celebration on Thursday, graciously hosted by Justin, who also put on a mean barbeque although in the end, I did have to show the kids how to properly grill meat. It comes with age and experience...

Justin, in hommage to my hardware-whoring ways, reached back in time about a year to the Bowen Island, Run For the Ferry Incident. This was when we ran a 10K and mistakenly thought - me that is - a box of medals was for all the finishers. I ignored the fact that the only medals I saw were on toddlers and grabbed a pair for Justin and myself. Until a little girl mentioned that they were only for runners twelve and under. And that was chronological age, not demonstrated maturity.

Justin contacted the organizers of the Bowen Island race and got me a medal... for my Birthday.

This is something that only a Smithers Mountain Madness Marathon Open Male Champion would do... It makes me a little misty even thinking about it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Scooter said...

Nothing like showing your medals in a baggie! It just oozes pride. I couldn't figure out why you looked so dorky in this picture, and eventually decided it was the baggies and hand positions.

4:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This picture is a bit of an inside joke...

*hint* Notice the "Run for the Ferry" logo in the upper right of Vince's bib, and the crystal clear facial complexion - if you do a quick search of Vince's blog archives I think it will all make sense.

=-)

12:35:00 PM  
Blogger Scooter said...

Patrick,
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll look for it (and I was surprised at how fast Vince's face seemed to have come back).

6:12:00 PM  
Blogger Scooter said...

I hadn't found it, so, thanks for the explanation.

8:40:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home