Monday, August 07, 2006

Top Gear

Posted by Picasa

Thank you Dogfish Dave for re-focusing some of the training areas of my brain.

After much musing and a nagging curiousity that I could not put to rest, I went back to my heart rate data from yesterday's 10K Race in Squamish. I am a little curious that I spent the last 17 and a half minutes of the 10K ABOVE my average heart rate of 167 without going past my lactate threshold.

An analysis of my Polar S625X sampling data actually shows that I spent significantly more time at 176-178 that I had previously thought, almost a full ten minutes. And yet my breathing was pretty easy until I started to close in on 178-180, or about 90% of my maximum heart rate.

And I still had enough for a strong 200 metre kick at the end.

I SHOULD have bonked somewhere in there! And I can't come up with an answer that makes any real sense to me, why I didn't. Except perhaps for the plethora of five hour marathons I have been piling up in my mileage bank.

To me, the utterly unique thing is, that as I awake on the morning on the eve of my 46th birthday, I feel no ill effects
whatsoever from yesterdays's effort. No muscle soreness or stiffness to speak of. NONE. It is a paradox.

And this after having basically run flat out after BALLOONING to a weight of 206 pounds, which has to have put me in the body fat percentage range of at least 24 0r 25%.

Some possibilities to ponder.

By running with my friend for the first five kilometres, I was completely relaxed. I think that has to be one of the keys. And our time at the 5K mark was 24:30 on the nose. At a steady pace I would have finished in around 49 minutes, but I was able to pick up the pace by a minute and a half over the last 5K. So, after a warm-up 5k, I ran a 22:55 final 5K.

My training for months now has emphasized the easy - NOT pounding and beating my body up week in and week out. I am always fully recovered, with none of the nagging aches and pains that plagued me after the Boston Marathon this spring.

I had been feeling some guilt and depression - actually a lot of guilt and depression - about putting on so much weight in the past three months.

But I was also determined to gorge on life as much as possible under the circumstances. It was kind of a Fuck You! to skin lesions and cancer and Efudex and Life and Death and my thumbing my nose at the Universe.

Rather than choosing one of of the following;

A. Running
B. Training
C. Moderation
D. Gluttony
E. Hedonism
or
F. Decadence

Instead I chose G.

Also known affectionately as all of the above.

Just because I am turning 46 tomorow don't think for an instance that I am any more mature than when I turned ten.

5 Comments:

Blogger Scooter said...

Vince,
Happy Birthday! I was hanging with some good marathoners this weekend, and one of the things I was giving some thought to was strength, and what it really means. While the excesses of your lifestyle during the treatment weren't ideal, all that mileage, much at lower intensities did build the kind of real strength that makes you able to go harder than you'd expect. Also, from a heart rate perspective, how have you been calculating your MRmax?

9:13:00 AM  
Blogger Vince Hemingson said...

During hard Hill work-outs, I have seen readings in the high 190s this year, and a few years ago saw a 201 and 204 on my Polar Heart Monitor - also during hard Hill work-outs.

So I have now basically rounded off my Maximum Heart Rate to 200.

12:28:00 PM  
Blogger Vince Hemingson said...

And, during the sprint across the Finish Line at this years Longest Day 5K, I had a heart rate of 196.

12:30:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was great to meet you in Squamish Vince. I wasn't sure if your internet thing was real or not but you really do have a blog. It is almost hard to believe that the person I met on Sunday looked liked the person in the pictures of a month ago. You sure don't look your age.

You are a real inspiration. Your writing is funny and hopeful and often painfully honest and I wish many others have the surprise of finding out about it like I did. Some of it makes you laugh out loud.

Have you ever thought about coaching or writing a book?

My best wishs to you for your continued good health.

4:58:00 PM  
Blogger Lora said...

Happy Birthday Big Guy!! Welcome to the uppers 40's!!

3:05:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home