Sunday, January 14, 2007

Sunday in the Snow

 
  Posted by Picasa

As I crossed the Burrard Bridge this morning, the temperature on the side of Molson Brewery read -7. When I ran back across in the opposite direction nearly four hours later, the temperature was a few degrees above freezing, the sun was shining and there was not a cloud to be seen. Cold but beautiful.

I layered up and was never too cold, although it is the first time in Vancouver that I've worn a baseball cap OVER a toque wile on a run. "Toque" is a uniquely Canadian word for a wool hat, only this one was made from technical fibres - probably recycled pop bottles...

I ran the first 10 or 11K with friends and the last leg of the thirty-odd kilometres I ran this morning by myself. Too much to think about lately.

There are two charts because of the brain cramp that caused me to turn off my Polar half an hour into the run...

My noodle must have been frozen.

Early in the run I just wanted it to be over with - 32K on January 14! - and I found it hard to keep my pace at 65%. And had to remind myself to hydrate despite the cold.

Despite all the ice and snow on the ground, the footing was surprisingly good. And the miles rolled away underfoot. Was a great way to be reminded of the joys to be found alongside the edge of the road.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home