Saturday, September 17, 2005

Vegematic

179, 180, 179, 180, 181, 179, 180, 179...

I have often hoverd or plateaued around a certain weight during the past few months as I have dropped from 203 pounds to somewhere in the 179-180 range, amd then all of a sudden I will drop down two or three pounds.

With three weeks to go until the Okanagan Marthon in Kelowna on October 9th, I will be honest and admit that, truth be told, I'm pretty happy with my current weight. Realistically, I can go as low as 175 in another 23 days, but my first priority is to keep my strength up. What I DON'T want to do is to BALLOON up during the taper by over indulging. But I do want to fully recover.

I remember back in May that Scooter and I had quite the discussion about whether or not you had to feel "hungry" or not when losing weight, and at the time I said something to the effect that a calorie deficit is a calorie deficit is a calorie deficit. Or words to that effect... Got that? Scooter disagreed. And we agreed to disagree.

I have been leaning out on a diet of very lean protein, healthy fats, and lots and lots of unprocessed carbs, and heaps and mounds of fresh fruit and vegetables. In fact, Scooter and I would probably both agree, that if you are eating a healthy, balanced diet, with very few highly processed foods and lots of fruit and vegetables that are naturally high in fibre, it is quite often difficult to eat all that you are supposed to, even if it is a measly little 2,000 calories per day. It is amazing how much food you can eat that is not that high in caloric content and that will leave you feeling very full and very satisfied.

As for the "hungry" aspect, Scooter and I were probably talking past each other to some extent and I should more accurately have said that instead of being "hungry", I was going to be "craving" some of the things I axed from my diet back in May, like alcohol, bacon, most animal fat, butter, mayonaise, most dairy products, all junk food, and much of the highly processed foods that one finds so prevalent in restaurants and supermarkets these days.

I have relaxed my diet somewhat, now that I am in the strike zone of my weight goal, but really only on Sundays, when my long runs burn up so many calories, that a slice of berry pie is as good for my body as it is for my soul. The healthy eating regimen and the discipline that go with it on a daily basis are now almost second nature. Working to become and stay lean is a habit. And not a bad one for yours truly to acquire. The best thing about thinking about and counting calories is portion control. Food portions are - to be blunt- pretty fucked up for the most part in North America.

We live in a super-size culture. And consumers expect some bang for their buck, especially when it comes to the food they order. One of the easiest ways for me to keep my diet and weight in check is just to have half-orders, and that goes for the healthiest items on the menu. Your average healthy 180 pound male only needs 2,180 calories per day just to maintain his weight. You can get that in a single meal in most restaurants today, with twice your daily allowance of saturated fats and sodium. It's a scary world out there!

My advice - "THINK GREEN" - Go VEGEMATIC!

You'll be glad you did. I sure am.

1 Comments:

Blogger Scooter said...

Apology accepted.



OK, so it wasn't really an apology, but in the end, there was something of an acknowledgement that we were both right, and even an admission that my terminology may have been more correct. (Big, dumb grin)
Again, congrats on the great progress on the weight. You're going to be joining me at Boston.
I thought of you last night. I was watching "Going Tribal" on Discovery Channel last night and it reminded me of you.

6:28:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home