Sunday, January 20, 2008

Batten Down the Hatches

The wind is howling in Nassau. A small craft warning is in effect for much of the Bahamas and most ships have sought safe harbours and shelters from the wind and waves. Everyone is hunkering down.

Most people think it will last several days. I wish my life were as easy as a surviving a short squall or a little hurricane...

We took my father against his will to the hospital today. He had to be physically carried as he could no longer even walk. Technicaly a mutiny, but he was suffering acute renal failure so we probably saved his life. Can't imagine too many military tribunals flogging me for that crime... But my old man will sure be counted on to bitch. I snapped a photo in the ER to show him in the future that he was turning yellow as his liver was cashing in its chips...

Can't imagine the Caribbean adventure continuing in its current guise. The Ancient Mariner needs to be in a Coronary Care Unit - one that doesn't require me forking over ten thousand dollars in advance for three days regardless of the outcome... Three cheers for the socialized medicine in Commie, pinko Canada...

Strange family I spring from. All surface conversation and none of that meat and gristle stuff that defines life and poetry and the human condition and is worth killing a good bottle of wine or scotch over... Most of what springs forth is superficial and self-servingly trite and nothing that cherished life-long memories or art is made of. Of course I am probbly a hopeless romantic, too-well read diletante and such talk doesn't really exist except in novels or hazy recollections coloured by too many drinks.

Strongest inclination is to run, leave town, pull up anchor or catch a plane - but no real place or destination to head to...

Forty-seven years old and I couldn't even begin to tell you or describe the true nature of either my Mother or Father or siblings. This indicates a rare self-absorbtion, narcicism and/or obliviousness on my part or a degree of stupidity and obtuseness that boggles even my fertile imagination. It's clearly a blessing in disguise that I never had kids of my own.

I'm stuck here day to day, wondering how I got sucked into this yet again, knowing full well that what is transpiring is exactly what I predicted would happen. Which may well make me the biggest horse's ass and fool of all time. Or at least a close runner up...

Strangely enough, I keep find out I have really great cousins.

The funny thing about life - Knowledge and insight often comes too little, too late...

But even then, better too late than not at all...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home