Sunday, December 07, 2008

Running Genes - Calling all Uta Clan Members

I've been working away, getting fat and sassy, (happy is a work in progress).  But I did get my DNA tested from www.OxfordAncestors.com about six weeks ago which was rather a fascinating exercise.

Now I'm looking for distance cousins - especially on my Mother's side as Mom's hit a bit of a snag in the old family Matrilineal Line.    Seems I have a Great-Great Grandmother with a wonderfully mysterious past...

Delicious stuff!

 The old girl was born in Calcutta in 1814 and wouldn't it be great if she was the daughter of a local Indian woman who married an officer - my Great-Great Grandfather - who was in the Honorable East India Company!

Turns out my Mother belongs to the Clan of Uta, according to Dr. Bryan Sykes at Oxford University and Oxford Ancestors, a very rare Clan in the United Kingdom where my mother's family originates.  Uta, you see, originates they think, in Central and Southern Asia!  Perhaps India really is the Mother country and I am 1/64th Indian.  But, and this is a big but, if you are descended from Uta and reside in England, you probably got your Uta DNA from a Norse Viking.  Either or, two great stories.

On my Father's side, my Patrilineal DNA makes me part of the Sigurd Clan, or northernmost Vikings.  Who would have guessed?







4 Comments:

Blogger gearsurfer said...

Man Vince, that's such cool stuff! What does that mean for your marathon PB? :-) How can I get it done as well?

1:27:00 PM  
Blogger Vince Hemingson said...

www.oxfordancestors.com and check out the different services they offer. Then swab the inside of your cheek and send some money. Just like CSI!

1:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Vin,
I've just read your post and have to get you straightened out on the number of greats!

Maria Campbell, who was born in Calcutta circa 1814, was my gg grandmother. That makes her your ggg grandmother.

Lt. Col. Campbell who was in the 5th Native Infantry is my ggg grandfather which makes him your gggg grandfather.

Love, Mom

1:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vince, always listen to your mother.
Sharon

11:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home