Friday, March 25, 2005

Good Fridays

It's apt that today is Good Friday, if only because I have always thought of Fridays as inherently good. Fridays are a good thing. And where once Friday was the end of a work week and a precursor to the weekend, Friday is also now my Friday run, which I have come to think of as my short long run.

For a year now, I have been stretching out my Friday runs from 10Ks to 20-24Ks. This came about when I cut back from running five days a week to four, but didn't want to sacrifice any mileage. I find I recover more fully running this way and get additional benefits from going out longer. If I do go out for a fifth day, it's never more than 5 or 6K to loosen up some muscles and move some warm blood around. So it's a win win training strategy. In addition, Friday is now quite often the only time I run solo for big chunks of the year. So I value my solitary jaunts.

Hill and Tempo runs this week went well. Backed off a little bit on the Tuesday tempo run and finished Hills with a flourish. Looking forward to some kilometre repeats next week.

I think that everyone in the 3:45 Pace Group now has a heart rate monitor. My work here is almost done... Now, on to Seymour and the rest of his 4:00 group, plus of course Paul... and those poor overtrained 3:30s could sure use a little monitoring... The work continues!

This week seemed all bound up in the controversy surrounding last Sunday's 32K long run pacing. Enough already, I say! Because this Blog belongs to me - well, it does - I do get to have the last word.

Over the years, as I have grown longer in the tooth, I have had to accomodate the inevitable changes to the flesh that come with the passage of time. Rather than fight a fruitless, unwinnable physical battle and rail against the vagaries of aging, I like to think I have chosen the path of cunning and guile. I have tried my best to deceive both my body and time when it comes to training. I hope this means that I am training smarter, not harder.

And that was the core of my arguements this week. Use the training time and the runs you have as wisely as you can. Choose to train in a way that maximizes your potential and minimizes the risk of overtraining or worse yet, injury. Try to get the most you can out of your running for the least amount of effort.

Sometimes, in order to run fast, first you must run slow.

I hope everyone has a great Easter weekend. Peace to all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home