Monday, March 28, 2005

Hippity Hopping All Easter Weekend

As the Vancouver International Marathon draws ever nearer, I am beginning to plan my end-game strategy. The marathon is approximately five weeks away and I am certainly not going to get significantly faster or much better conditioned.

I have decided to run the April Fool's Run Half Marathon in Gibson's on B.C.'s beautiful Sunshine Coast next Sunday. The plan is to sharpen up and tune my muscle for a little race speed. Following that, I am planning my last long run of 50K the following Sunday. At that point the taper begins. Long live the taper!

This past week, I followed up my 24K on Friday with another 24K on Saturday, and followed up that up with a very leisurely 23K on Sunday. That brought my weekly mileage up to 65 miles (104.6K). This morning I feel very fit.

Hills are finished with and now it's time to sharpen up my racing instincts and marathon pace speed.

Everyone in the clinic is beginning to get very antsy, agonizing over every little ache and pain and wondering if it will disappear by the time of the marathon and worrying over every itch in the throat or errant sniffle lest it develop into a full-blown cold.

I will have to keep a tight check on my paranoia, because this is often where I go out and do something foolish in my training, trying to get just that little bit faster. Will not get too crazy in Gibson's. My goal is to run a 1:45 half. Fast for me, but not TOO fast... Just enough to get everything in running order.

I hope!

3 Comments:

Blogger ? said...

I’ll take that bet for the mere possibility of winning a tasty bottle!

Cheers.

3:59:00 PM  
Blogger Scooter said...

Vince,
I'm feeling good. I ran just shy of 24 (miles) yesterday in 3:25+. It felt very comfortable. That I could go that long in reasonable comfort means that 3:30 should be mine on May 1. Are you locked into the pace group time? Or is that strictly for prep?

8:48:00 AM  
Blogger Vince Hemingson said...

Hi Scooter,

I ran a 1:44 half marathon in Gibson's yesterday. I ran at my intended marathon pace for Vancouver on May 1 and felt strong and comfortable. A 3:30 is possible if everything falls into place on race day!

8:52:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home