Friday, May 06, 2005

And the Data Debate Begins

I received my latest posted comment from Scooter. Interesting, and worthy of dragging on to the front page for a couple of reasons...

OK, Vince, if we apply the 2 sec/mile/lb formula, just getting the weight off should buy you about 940 sec or 15.6 minutes! Not a ton, but a big percentage of the differential.

Also, for something a little freaky, you are one year TO THE DAY younger than I am.

Scooter, are you really EXACTLY a year older than me, as in, you were born on August 8th, 1959?

Also, and I am expecting Michael to chime in here, my research of the available data shows that losing a percentage of body fat generally translates into a one percent increase in performance, ie; speed. Where are you getting your formula from? What is the source of your research?

And as for how my body fat effects my MAX VO2 - at 203 pounds (22.3 per cent body fat) with a maximum heart rate of 204, Michael calculated my MAX Vo2 at 57.4. As your Max Vo2 is a measurement of oxygen utilized, militres per kilograms, the lower your body fat, the greater your Max Vo2, because of course it is independent of your body weight, not your cardiovascular capacity. At 180 pounds, or ten per cent body fat, my MAX VO2 would be in the 70 range.

At 28 years of age, and not particularly well-trained I might add (I ran a 10K 5 or 6 times a week every morning for exercise) I ran a personal best 10K in 36:10 at 178 pounds. So that is where I am headed for. Well, that's the plan anyway...

Just as a point of interest, Rachel and I ran the first 10K of the Gibson's Half Marathon Race on April 3, in 44:14.

By all that is Holy, in other words, Jesus Christ, if your birthday is August 8th, that certainly explains a lot!


I wonder if Dustin Hoffman is reading our Blogs, Scooter?

And finally, Scooter - I have read your Blog with interest - mostly because of the excellence of the writing - but also because of your weight loss - and no where could I discern your current weight.

If I may be so bold, what did you weigh when you ran this past marathon that qualified you for Boston?

And congratulations once again on a job well done!

August 8th in History - This Day in History > August 8th

1786: Mt Blanc, the tallest mountain in Europe, climbed for the first time
1940: Battle of Britain
1960: Militray coup in Laos
1963: The Great Train Robbery, in which 2.5 million pounds are stolen
1974: Richard Nixon resigns as US President, the first to do so
1981: US announce plans to produce the neutron bomb
1983: Militray coup in Guatemala

August 8th birthdays
1937: Dustin Hoffman, American actor

2 Comments:

Blogger Scooter said...

Vince,
Yes, you're capable of deducting a year from your date of birth correctly!
The 2 sec/mile/lb. number was published last year by Runner's World. Needless to say, any general formula is at best an estimate, but anecdotal evidence indicates it's not far off the mark.
My current weight is about 11 stone or 70.5 kg or 155 lb.
Another semi famous sharer of our birthday is Robin Quivers, sidekick of the much reviled radio host Howard Stern.

8:41:00 AM  
Blogger Scooter said...

Vince,
After getting the qualifier, I really felt like the wind was out of my sails. I've pretty well decided to run the Steamtown Marathon in the fall (Oct 9), so now I hve that looming. How's your head (mental condition)? How are the legs?

1:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home