Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Post-Partum Blues

As after nearly every race, no matter how well you do, I am experiencing something of a let-down after the Vancouver International Marathon.

My physical stiffness was gone within a week, but the psychic aches and pains have not. I have run just about every day, short distances, easy speeds, but my heart is not in it. What the f**k have I gotten myself in to?

I can not help feeling that I have bitten off more than I can chew in my Boston attempt, and let me tell you, there are plenty of folks out there who will attest to the size of my mouth...

And speaking of which, I now have to watch everything I put into it. With the sole exception perhaps of the nectar of the fruited grape.

I'm down a pound or two, but feeling hungry all the time. I have resigned myself to the fact that this is pretty much going to suck between now and October.

Getting down to 180 pounds that is...

There just seems no other way to address my conditioning and my stamina. I can't qualify for Boston at around 200 pounds. It is just pounding the s**t out of me.

I'll continue to work on speed and endurance, but a light race car is a fast race car.

Time to tear the rear seat out...

5 Comments:

Blogger Scooter said...

Vince,
I'm doing the aimless wandering thing, too. Meantime, regarding the diet, I did the hungry thing when I lost the bulk of my weight 6 years ago. I've since realized that it's NOT necessary. Change your diet and your attitude will change. The basic concept is to fill up on lots of low calorie density foods - high bulk, lots of water, but few calories. You will be able to lose weight without the hunger. A link to my explanation of it on my blog is: http://scootersweightloss.blogspot.com/2004_11_01_scootersweightloss_archive.html
I hope this proves helpful - feeling good beats 6 months of hunger! If it works, you can kiss my feet at the bar where I buy you the beer after Boston...they should be good and stinky, and blistered and bloody (maybe not - didn't happen this past one). Best wishes!

6:27:00 AM  
Blogger Scooter said...

Vince,
The link seems to get truncated. Go to my blog and then click the November 2004 archive. It's the last entry (30 Nov 04).

6:31:00 AM  
Blogger Vince Hemingson said...

Ahhhh, Scooter.

Renunciation is good for the soul.

And there are many worse fates in life than being a little hungry.

When you get down to brass tacks, a calorie deficit is a calorie deficit is a calorie deficit.

Ergo, ipso facto, I'm going to be hungry on occasion.

I've been down this road before.

The journey is not so bad and the destination is worth the trip.

8:16:00 AM  
Blogger Scooter said...

OK, Vince, I think we may have to turn this into a running argument. You can find my response to your "I'll go hungry" here: http://scootersweightloss.blogspot.com/2005/05/stern-lecture.html

7:40:00 AM  
Blogger Scooter said...

Hey Vince, it's getting boring without the ranting of a drunken Canuck! Have a LaBatt's and rant for us!

8:10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home