Tuesday, December 30, 2008

More is Sometimes Just, More

I've been counting my calories - kind of, sort of - and attempting to eat green over white. I'm actually an enormous lover of yams and squash and root vegetables and chard and kale and beets greens and spinach, et al.  So this is actually pretty tasty.

I'm paying attention to portion size.

I was going to give up alcohol altogether, but who am I kidding?   I am having a glass instead of a bottle, however.  And have even abstained entirely on two days.

And I'm forcing my gargantuan ass out into the rain and snow and slush of Vancouver.

I wore my Polar Heart rate Monitor for the first time in months and I'm keeping myself solidly in the fat-burning zone, trying as best I can to ease back into activity without hurting myself too badly.

I went out for 102 minutes on Sunday morning, or until I had burned what I thought were a thousand calories according to the Polar.  Afterwards I realized that my programmed body weight in the watch had been left at a svelte 196!   So the simple physics of moving my massive girth through time and space at 225 pounds meant that I had burned at least 10% more calories.

I have been working out with these stretchy little rubber cables, thinking that, as I haven't lifted a free weight in at least three years,  I should ease my old bones back into resistance training with care and consideration.

True confessions - I ache all over.  As in Advil ache.

I am trying to figure out how I have somehow managed to screw up my right shoulder -although I have torn my right rotator cuff a few times over the years - so that it feels like I have been shot in the shoulder.  This from what are essentially giant elastic bands!?

It's a freaking tragedy.   My body feels like an abandoned building or an East Vancouver fixer-upper.

I wish all I had to do was splash on a fresh coat of paint and a little stucco, but it feels like my foundation is cracked!  


3 Comments:

Blogger Scooter said...

Vince,
At least you're getting out there. I'm struggling. Still putting too much sweet stuff into the piehole, still not working out enough. Well, holiday season is gone after tomorrow. My best wishes for a good 2009.

2:01:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

vince, i have been following your blog for just a short while now. i was looking for inspiration to get back into training...your blog has inspired 2PB's. sorry to hear about the rollar coaster of the last year, today i will be out running because you will probably be out running. i will look forward to your written words, please keep writing & running. Good luck with your new choices and remember to celebrate even the smallest victories. bye for now.

3:00:00 PM  
Blogger Vince Hemingson said...

Thanks, folks.

I actually feel better after just the first week.

And making progress is great.

Wishing everyone all the best with their goals for a Happier and Healthier 2009!

3:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home