Thursday, January 01, 2009

Oprah and Me

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/01/fashion/01change.html?em

Over the years, I found Oprah Winfrey popping up in my life in the strangest ways.

I've never been a big fan of her show, but was contacted on a couple of occasions by one of her producers about information regarding the place of tattoos within popular culture and on another occasion about the influence of celebrity tattoos on regular folks like me and you getting body art.

Not watching the show, I have no real idea how that information was used.  

When I ran my first marathon, my goal was to break four hours because I'd read some where that Oprah had run a "four hour" marathon, and if Oprah Winfrey could run a "four hour" marathon, surely I could!

I was actually rather gutted when I ran my first marathon in 4:06 and change.  How was it possible? Oprah Winfrey had kicked my ass!

Later when a friend told me that Oprah had run a 4:32 I felt a little better and over time, developed an ever greater respect for her effort.  She ran a great race.

And like any other human on the face of the planet it was impossible for me not to notice her rather omnipresent-like personality in the zeitgeist.  Oprah is everywhere. Seriously, everywhere!

And as such, like a billion other people (or more), I had no choice but to learn of Oprah's many successes and her enduring - which makes her all that more endearing - struggles with her weight.

Even with a billion dollars and no shortage of personal chefs and personal trainers, and every conceivable and imaginable way at her fingertips to control her weight, at the end of the day, Oprah is no different than the rest of us.

One can only the image the amount of stress that she deals with on a regular basis, and despite her entourage and retinue of advisors, counselors, et al, in the end, she bears the brunt of being at the head of a corporate entity that employs thousands and one that effects million of people.  Like us, Oprah must have good days and bad days.  

And like us, I imagine that when Oprah has a bad day, she finds a little solace and a little comfort in the places where she has always found it - food.

So, as 2009 unfolds, I wish Oprah all the best of luck and much success in all of her goals, ambitions and resolutions.  Especially if they include fitting into a smaller dress size for President-elect, Barack Obama's Presidential Inauguration Ball and feeling just a little better about herself, but most of all for a healthier lifestyle.

We need someone like Oprah, who encourages people to read books and be positive agents for change, like never before.

You go, girl!


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you give yourself little credit...you are one hot man vince! (see picks in previous post)

you have ego, ambition, humility, grace ... everything opra...if we would all just look a little inward we would see the inspiration we all need to accomplish lifes challenges in the face of what we would call darkness.

6:25:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Vince -- yours is one of the first blogs I ever read (stumbled across it when I was researching the Marathon du Medoc). Just wanted to let you know I'm rooting for you and hope you find your love of running again. I too cave to temptation during the holidays, but I also know I never want to go back to what I was (an extremely UNHAPPY 200-pound woman). You seem to be on the right track; don't give up!

10:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home