Thursday, January 05, 2006

Cranking It Back Up

Did 10K (actually 10.3 kilometres) last night in 46:33. It was the first time I had run with the new Spring Marathon Clinic and the first time I had run with Hugh in ages. I skipped the Tempo Run yesterday on Tuesday because I still felt a little leg-weary from Sunday's 53.8K epic adventure.

Last night was the first time I had cranked my heart rate up since the end of October and the James Cunningham Seawall Race. My average heart rate was 168 with a maximum of 177. This leads me to believe that I have pushed back my lactic threshold a few beats, as the limiting factor for me last night was lingering leg fatigue and not my respiratory or cardio rates. I will have to reload some screenshot software on my computer as I lost the last one with my new PC rebuild. The chart is quite interesting.

We have a few new racehorses in this clinic, and it will be interesting to see how they shake out during the tempo runs and speed work in the coming months. It was so great to run with Hugh again, and it makes you realize just how big a role your running buddies play in your training.

I can hardly wait for Sunday morning's long run. Now THIS feels like Christmas. New marathon recruits are like getting Christmas presents under the tree. With some you have no idea what you're getting and you can hardly wait to take them outside and see what they'll do! In the case of returning runners, it's like getting another pair of favorite woolly socks, familiar, comfortable, welcome - of course some returning members are like getting that purple polyester tie from Aunt Melba...

I found a great new running site and I have fallen in love with the Pace Calculator. I'm hoping to get Seymour to try it out on a bunch of clinic Guinea Pigs next week!

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index.html

Now, back to the grindstone...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home