Sunday, January 04, 2009

The Treadmill is My Friend


Back in the day, mid-September, 2005 - 181 pounds


End of September, 2005 - 177 pounds.  The lightest I'd been since I was 18.

I slipped on the ice yesterday and rang my bell.  Going down a steep hill, my feet shot out from underneath me and I felt myself flying through space and and purely by instinct I thrust out my arms to break the fall.  But I think my poor left wrist took one for the team and absorbed the brunt of the force.   My right wrist was already bothering me, and now I have a match with my left wrist.  They both hurt equally this morning!

Still, my melon bounced off the ice and snow, I saw the proverbial stars and within a few minutes I had a doozy of a headache.  I have a sore spot on the back of my skull but no contusion.  Still, you have to wonder whether it's appropriate with such terrible road condition to be wearing a helmet of some kind!   The force of the fall was also enough to aggravate an old whiplash injury.  

I bought myself a Gym Membership as my Christmas Present to myself, and much as I hate to say it, right now I prefer running on a treadmill.  Part of the reason I love running, aside from the camaraderie of fellow runners, is the ability to get lost in thought along the trail.  I love the introspection of the road and the meditation of the deep breath.  On an icy path, all I can think of is, don't fall!

And I dragged out a couple of pictures of myself in Boston form...



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi vince,

i believe the american track & field association was trying to implement a helmet rule for all road races....lets hope it never comes to that. treadmills are ok, except i was on one today...the power went out...and i was kicking myself for not braving the weather...you reminded me that vanity and/or insanity does not deserve an injury.
bye.

8:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home